The mission of UW-Extension’s Local Government Education is to provide focus, coordination, and leadership to UW-Extension educational programs supporting local government, and to expand the research and knowledge base for local government education.
LGE’s Eductional Outcomes
We provide instruction to local government officials:
- To help new officials understand their roles and responsibilities as public officials in Wisconsin
- To develop the abilities of new and continuing officials to fulfill their roles and responsibilities
- To enhance the ability of Extension educators to establish relationships and work with local officials in their area
- To help officials keep current on topics and practices which affect their communities
- To help officials fulfill requirements when specific instruction is required by statute (such as Board of Review).
This instruction is usually in one of four forms:
- in-person workshops presented statewide in the spring and fall of each year
- teleconference programs on individual topics offered live and in recorded form
- video accompanied by written materials
- the Local Government Education website.
We research questions about local government in Wisconsin to gain insight into trends and solutions to problems.
Education Support Staff
Phone: (608) 265-8136
We work with our partners to develop and present program content, and plan, coordinate and promote educational events, and contribute articles and chapters to the publications distributed by the statewide local government associations.
Local Government Education
702 Langdon Street, Suite 111
Madison, Wisconsin 53703