For over 30 years UW-Extension’s Local Government Education Program has been helping local government officials build their capacity to govern.
The mission of UW-Extension’s Local Government Education is to provide focus, coordination, and leadership to UW-Extension educational programs supporting local government, and to expand the research and knowledge base for local government education.
LGE’s Educational Outcomes
We provide instruction to local government officials:
- To help new officials understand their roles and responsibilities as public officials in Wisconsin
- To develop the abilities of new and continuing officials to fulfill their roles and responsibilities
- To enhance the ability of Extension educators to establish relationships and work with local officials in their area
- To help officials keep current on topics and practices which affect their communities
- To help officials fulfill requirements when specific instruction is required by statute (such as Board of Review).
This instruction is usually in one of five forms:
- in-person workshops presented statewide in the spring and fall of each year
- teleconference programs on individual topics offered live and in recorded form
- video accompanied by written materials
- the Local Government Education website
- the Certified Public Manager Program group colleague cohorts and public classes
We research questions about local government in Wisconsin to gain insight into trends and solutions to problems.
Local Government Education Specialists and Staff
Local Government Education Program Manager
Overall Local Government Education program delivery and coordination.
William L. Oemichen, JD
Professor of Practice-Law
Local Government Law Educator
Current school board president and former county supervisor and village and town board official; provide legal education and training to Wisconsin local governments
Daniel Foth, JD
Local Government Specialist
Local government budgeting and finance, effective meetings and parliamentary procedure, Open meetings and records, and Women in Government, and 2020 Census
Digital Equity Outreach Specialist
Based in Eagle River, Chris is responsible for working with Wisconsin communities to improve broadband access, affordability, and adoption for all Wisconsin residents.
Community Development Institute – Administrative Assistant
Program Assistant, Certified Public Manager Program
We work with our partners to develop and present program content, and plan, coordinate and promote educational events, and contribute articles and chapters to the publications distributed by the statewide local government associations.
Local Government Education
432 N. Lake St., Rm. 439
Madison, Wisconsin 53706