County Officials Workshops
Following the spring elections in even numbered years, UW-Extension’s Local Government Center and the Wisconsin Counties Association co-sponsor day-long workshops to orient both new and continuing county officials, at several locations around the state. With turnover on county boards averaging about 25% each election cycle, board members need opportunities to learn more about their roles and responsibilities.
Join the University of Wisconsin-Extension Local Government Education Program and the Wisconsin Counties Association for our 2022 County Officials Workshops which will be held in person in 2022.
THIS ONE-DAY WORKSHOP is a unique opportunity for both newly elected county government officials and veterans of the county board to learn from experienced educators about best practices and avoiding the pitfalls of governance.
- Roles & Responsibilities
- Open Meetings Law
- Public Records Law
- Ethics & Conflicts of Interest
- Running Effective Meetings
- Agendas & Minutes
$75.00 includes instruction, materials, a morning snack and lunch.
Click here and be sure to share!
2022 DATES & LOCATIONS
Registration opens at 8:00 a.m. and the workshops run from 8:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Monday, May 9
North Star Conference Center at Comfort Inn & Suites
5025 Cty Rd V
DeForest, WI 53532
Wednesday, May 11
Sleep Inn & Suites
5872 33rd Avenue
Eau Claire, WI 54703
Thursday, May 12
Hotel Mead & Conference Center
451 E. Grand Avenue
Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494
Monday, May 16
Ramada Richland Center
1450 Veterans Dr
Richland Center, WI 53581
Wednesday, May 18
21540 Cty Hwy M
Cable, WI 54821
Thursday, May 19
Reulands Conference Center
adjacent to AmericInn
700 U.S. Hwy 51 N
Minocqua, WI 54548
Friday, May 20
Radisson Hotel Green Bay
2040 Airport Drive
Green Bay, WI 54313
Virtual (8:30-10 a.m.)
*Monday, June 6
(Sessions 1 and 2)
*Monday, June 13
(Sessions 4 and 5)
*Monday, June 20
(Sessions 6 and 7)
*Monday, June 27
(Sessions 3 and 8)
(Virtual registration includes all four online sessions.)
THE FINE PRINT
The fee for this workshop is $75.00 for each participant; the fee increases to $85.00 for late registrations (less than 7 days prior to the workshop date). The fee covers the cost of registration, instruction, materials, a morning snack and lunch.
A full refund will be made if notice of cancellation is received in writing or by fax seven days prior to the workshop. No-shows will not receive a refund, but materials can be sent.
Any person requiring special accommodations should contact the Local Government Center (608-262-9960) at least 72 hours before the scheduled workshop date so that appropriate arrangements can be made.
For more information and to order workshop materials ($35) call the Local Government Center (608-262-9960). For information on registration logistics call the Wisconsin Counties Association (608-663-7188).
An EEO/AA employer, University of Wisconsin-Extension provides equal opportunities in employment and programming, including Title VI, Title IX, and the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requirements. La Universidad de Wisconsin-Extensión, un empleador con igualdad de oportunidades y acción afirmativa (EEO/AA), proporciona igualdad de oportunidades en empleo y programas, incluyendo los requisitos del Título VI, Título IX, y de la Ley Federal para Personas con Discapacidades en los Estados Unidos (ADA).
Archived County Officials Workshops Information
Since this program series began in 2002, over 2100 county officials have participated in these workshops.
- 2018 County Officials Workshop Brochure (PDF file, 434 kb, 3 pages) – 191 county officials participated in 2018.
- 2016 County Officials Workshop Brochure (PDF file, 286 kb, 2 pages) – 204 county officials participated in 2016.
- 2014 County Officials Workshop Brochure (PDF file, 295 kb, 2 pages) – 258 county officials participated in 2014.
- 2012 County Officials Workshop Brochure (PDF file, 700 kb, 2 pages) – 206 county officials participated in 2012.
- 2010 County Officials Workshop Brochure (PDF file, 700 kb, 2 pages) – 214 county officials participated in 2010.
- 2009 County Officials Workshop Brochure (PDF file, 98 kb, 2 pages) – 216 county officials participated in 2008.
- 2006 County Officials Workshop Brochure (PDF file, 97 kb, 2 pages) – 163 county officials participated in 2006.
- 2004 County Officials Workshop Brocure (PDF file, 104 kb, 2 pages) – 210 county officials participated in 2004.
- 2002 County Officials Workshop Brochure (PDF file, 84 kb, 2 pages) – 187 county officials participated in 2002.